LGBTQIA+ gender and name change

If your birth certificate currently states a gender that you do not identify with as a member of the LGBTQIA+ community, you can have the gender on your birth certificate changed.

If your first name also does not reflect your gender, then this procedure can be combined with a change of first name as described below.

LGBTQIA+ gender and name change

Where can I get my birth certificate amended? 

The change of your birth certificate must be requested with the municipality of the city/ town where you were born. If you were born outside of the Netherlands, you apply to the municipality of The Hague.

How does it work? 

Your birth certificate does not necessarily have to be registered in The Netherlands, nor does your nationality matter for this procedure. The criteria to change your gender (with or without a change of first name) are as follows. You must:

  • Be at least 16 years old;
  • Have Dutch nationality or have been legally living in the Netherlands for more than a year; 
  • And have obtained an expert opinion, which states that you wish to change the gender on your birth certificate.

The expert opinion may be no older than six months old at the time of the request.

Where do I get an expert opinion? 

The expert statement can currently be requested from the following institutions:

If you want to find an expert local to you, go to the following website: and check the “Deskundigenverklaring” box under the “wat” heading.

When it is clear to the expert that you want a gender change and that you fully understand the consequences of the change, you will be issued with a positive expert opinion. If an expert refuses to issue an expert opinion, you can still request a second opinion from another expert.

What are the costs of an expert opinion?

The costs of the expert opinion differ per centre and per expert. In addition, costs can vary from case to case, depending on how many interviews the expert feels are necessary.

If you do not have the financial means to pay for the expert opinion yourself, you can apply for special financial assistance “Bijzondere Bijstand” with your local municipality’s social services department. It is recommended you request financial assistance before you pay for the expert opinion yourself. This increases the chance that your request will be granted by the municipality. If your application is rejected, you can contact Transgender Netwerk Nederland, and request them to mediate for you.

How can I change my first name in combination with my gender?

You just inform the municipality of your additional request for a first name change. 

If you wish to change your first name in combination with your gender, you do not have to request a name change in court. Instead, you simply request to change your name in combination with your change of gender, which is then recorded on your birth certificate. 

Please note that this procedure is only applicable in the specific circumstance you request a change of gender. In all other cases court proceedings are necessary for a first name change.

What if I do not identify as either male or female?

Under certain circumstances, you may choose whether you wish for your birth certificate to state that you are ‘female’, ‘male’ or ‘x’. The ‘X’ can be applicable if you do not identify as either female or male.

What are the costs? 

The procedure for changing your gender (with or without changing your first name) is free of charge. In most cases, you will have pay for the expert opinion (see above). You do not need a lawyer for this procedure. However, if you do not speak Dutch, you may encounter problems enacting the correct procedures. 

Changing your gender (and/ or name) is never a decision taken overnight and is usually the result of a long personal journey. If you want legal support in taking this step, or have any questions, we would be happy to assist.

Contact us: